Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Riding The Bus!



Alright. So, we live on the top of a hill here in Pocatello. It is just our little neighborhood up here. Our ward encompasses the whole hill. The school that the boys attend is on the hill adjacent to ours, so it is either ride the bus or drive to school. The bus stop for our side of the neighborhood is far enough away and down one part of the hill and back another, the kids would not be able to walk to the bus stop alone, especially when winter comes. I just figured I would drive the kids to school since I would have to drive them to the bus stop anyway. We (My brothers and sisters and I) had ridden the bus every year growing up, and we actually became quite enviouse of those children who could either walk, or whose parents came to pick them up. I thought the boys would like riding with me to school. BOY WAS I WRONG! In fact, in Ryan and Jonathan's mind, that was a form of punishment that ranked right up there with the death penalty and cruel and unusual punishment! For a short time, I was forced to walk in the shadows of the label, given to me by Ryan and Jonathan, of an "Unfit Mother" for not signing the permission slip that allowed Ryan and Jonathan to board the bus each day. A mistake I quickly corrected! I guess the bus holds more mystical powers than I ever knew as a child.

I still drive the boys to school in the morning (we usually can not make it out the door in time for the bus which comes half an hour before the boys have to be at school), but you can be certain that they are now proud members of the "Bus Riders" line when they line up at the doors to go home every afternoon. And yes, I have redeemed myself and have regained my status as a mother sufficient for their needs. And I guess that will do for now. :)

2 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

They are so funny! Do you just love having some time with the girls (and Mr. Ethan) while they are at school? We rode the bus to school and I remember loving it... but it also stopped right in front of our house!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel! I am so glad you found me online. I cannot beleive you have FIVE kids! How do you stay sane? Superwoman you are. They are adorable - and you look fantastic. Say "Hi" to your siblings for me. I am adding you to my blogroll - you can do the same if you like!