Tuesday, October 7, 2008

He Thinks He Is SOO Funny!

Chris and I have a lot of fun in our marriage. We like to tease and play with each other. With all that life has bestowed apon us, we have learned to laugh about pretty much anything that happens - certainly makes life a lot more fun that way, and keeps us eager to see what else might be aroung the corner.

So it is actually quite normal for Chris to pull pranks on me - and he has come up with some pretty good ones in the past. One very recent prank now has me on the watch list of both Wal Mart and Home Depot (I have to admit, it was a pretty good one, that worked out even better than he anticipated).

The latest prank.... Let's just say, the stars were aligned for Chris on this one. It has by far taken the cake, and Chris had no idea how great of an opportunity he had before him until it all took place.

Okay, let me set the stage for you.

So for those who may not know, in the afternoons I work in the Pathology Lab in the hospital here in Pocatello. Joanna is generous enough to watch the children for a couple of hours, and then Chris has them for a couple hours in the evening while I finish up work and go to my classes. I generally get home in time to help get all the children to bed, and read a couple of bed time stories before they are off to bed. It keeps us pretty busy, but Chris and I have learned how to work very well as a team so we are both able to get everything we need to do done.

I love my job! I work in the grossing lab - which is where we take the tissue specimens that have been removed from patients, and then we dissect them down to much smaller portions to be put on slides for the pathologist to look at to make a diagnosis. (gallbladder, appendix, biopsies of all sorts, colons, bones... we even get amputation specimens. You name it, I have seen it.). This job is a great work experience builder, and great for school and my major as well.

One part of the pathology job not many consider, is that the pathologist is also responsible for doing autopsies. Now, it may be a little weird, and perhaps a bit morbid, but I have been interested in watching an autopsy since I have worked here - SPECIFICALLY FROM THE ANATOMY PERSPECTIVE. Definately a great way to learn - hence cadavers in most biology labs.
So yesterday, I was able to sit in on two oautopsies. All-in-all, it was quite interesting. I learned a lot. During the autopsies, I was totally fine - it was a little weird at first - but once I got over the weirdness, it wasn't too bad.

Once the autopsies were done, I went back up to get my work done. It wasn't until I finally sat down and had the opportunity to reflect on what I had just seen that the real weirdness started to set in. All through my work and during my class that night, all I could think of were the autopsies. This definately caused me to seriously ponder the fragility of life, and that what we may think are small and insignificant decisions that we have made many times before, can sometimes turn out to be a really big deal, and yes, even life altering. I left my class with a huge desire to just go home and hug my little ones, and sit next to my dear husband and just take in the wonderful blessing to have them all around me.

After the kids were in bed, Chris stepped out to go do the grocery shopping that seriously needed to be done. While Chris was gone, the autopsies were still on my mind. I had told Chris that I had watched them, but I hadn't told him how much they had affected me. Then, about an hour and a half later, as I was finishing up in the bathroom - washing up and all - suddenly the door flew open and this is what I saw!!!







(Except, imagine this on a grown man, yelling in a low pitched sort of growl, looking like he is about to lunge at you. Oh ya, and my husband was not supposed to be home. I was supposed to be the only one there to protect myself and my children - not so harmless anymore!)



All I could do was stand there and scream. A part of me knew it was just Chris, and I should probably start laughing at any moment - but there was an even bigger part of me that saw the mask, and could only think of the autopsies and scream longer and louder as the seconds went by.... I was a total wimp about it. Finally Chris started laughing so hard he was crying - not only wiping tears, but practically bawling with laughter. I finally got a hold of myself and started laughing so hard I was crying - but I think my tears were not so much funny tears, which made Chris laugh even harder.

Yes, Chris certainly stepped in on a perfectly primed victim on this one. I was ripe for the picking, and he got me good!
The boy is in for it, I have to come up with a good one for this one. I have an idea, but I can't let anything slip. I will let you all know how it goes. He doesn't think I am capable of coming up with something very mean, but after this - I would say he has it comin', and I am pretty motivated.... ;)

2 comments:

Joanna Barrett said...

Chris is a PUNK!!! I hope you get him, and get him good!!! Good Luck!

Unknown said...

How funny you guys do things like that. I am a total wimp and would have freaked out seeing that.
I have been meaning to tell you that I really admire you for doing all that you do...raising five kids, going to school, working. That is amazing! And you keep your blog up! How do you do it?
sarah (I just realized I'm logged in as Jason).