Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Conference Weekend Activity For The Family

I am excited for General Conference this weekend. It always makes a nice weekend at home, enjoying eachother on Sunday morning rather than the usual chaos of trying to get everybody dressed and off to church and the different meetings Chris and I have to attend, and all the other "Sunday Stuff" and such.
This general conference weekend we are going to be doing something new, and I thought it was such a great idea that I just have to share it with everyone.
My visiting teaching partner related this idea while we were out teaching a couple months ago, and I made a mental note right then that I was going to do this.
Anyhow, my VT partner served her mission in Florida, where they are right in the middle of all the action when it comes to hurricane season. So obviously, 72 hour kits are a pretty important deal down there. Well this family she knew would use every general conference weekend as a time to check all their 72 hour gear to make sure they were good to go when they needed them. They would make it really fun. Each member of the family was incharge of their own kit. They would make sure the clothing all fit and was appropriate for the coming season. They would make sure all the batteries in the flashlights were all good, and other necessary gear was working (pocket knives, lanterns, blankets, etc.) They would do by making games out of it, i.e. playing dress up in the old clothes, build tents out of the blankets and play with the flashlights... you get the idea.
While conference was on, they would sit and eat the old food and repack the kits with new goods, that way the food was always fresh and they knew the kids would actually like the food in the kits. And since we are supposed to update and check out 72 hour kits every 6 months - each general conference weekend is an automatic and perfect reminder to take the time to get that done. BRILLIANT - I KNOW!!
So we are starting that as a tradition in our family, and I thought many of you might like the idea as well. I know that we don't actually live in a hurricane zone, and there is not such a high likely hood that we will have to grab our kits and make due at least once a year - but preparation is always better.
I have included some links for anybody interested in a refresher of what to include in a 72 hour kit.


The link to go to if you are going total, all-out, gung-hoe, we can camp out till the world collapses around us.


http://www.avertdisasters.org/html/72_hour2.html


But if you are just getting started and a little on the more practical, just give me the basics, make sure we get through the 72 hours, I don't want to go broke making sure my family can get through 72 measly hours -- which is the side I tend to gravitate toward -- then here is your link. The list can look a little overwhemlming, but as long as we all get the essentials, the rest can be added in along the way. No biggie, right?

http://lds.about.com/od/preparednessfoodstorage/a/72hour_kit.htm

Good Luck! This will be a fun activity!

1 comment:

Joanna Barrett said...

Rach--I totally love the idea and thanks for the links, Deryk and I are going to start ours this weekend too! See what you started!